Wednesday, January 20, 2010

That's Reverend Mojito to You!

Who dat?

Yup, that's Miss Mojito right there in June 2007... or should I say Reverend Mojito?

When my friend Breann (this bride) and I were younger we used to joke that whoever got married first the other was going to have to get ordained and marry the other. Well, when she got engaged on New Year's Eve she didn't miss a beat asking me when she could sign me up to get ordained. I kinda laughed thinking she was joking... but she was dead serious. So I was in.

She paid to get me ordained through a company called Rose Ministries and I got a certificate, a license card, a name badge, some other crap, and even a parking pass for hospitals!

I was really nervous and had no idea what to do. My friend Breann and her husband Tony didn't have really any preference, they weren't really religious but said I could throw in a verse somewhere. So of course I hit the net and even bought a book off of ebay about writing a ceremony.

I put something together and had them go over it and tell me what they thought... they loved it, and they loved how I was adding such a personal touch to their ceremony. Although it was extremely traditional things that you've heard at any wedding I added a story or comment here and there to make it something that was their own, and I had a lot of great feedback during the reception... people loved that they kept seeing the Rev drinking a Corona after the ceremony, haha!

It was such a great experience for me and them, and if we didn't have a pastor that we were close with we would probably go this route. But if you aren't very religious, I would recommend this for anyone!

One of the funniest moments that I didn't know until after the ceremony was that I never told everyone they could be seated after the bride got to the front. 90% of the people stayed standing. I'm sorry but if someone didn't tell you to be seated wouldn't you still think you should sit down? It was hilarious and I was so nervous I didn't even think about it but I think that was their fault, not fully mine. LOL

Just thought I would share this story with you since it was wedding related. Are you doing something in your ceremony that sets you apart from "tradition"?

3 comments:

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget said...

We're having Jason's best friend's mom perform our ceremony. I'm so excited about it because it will add a personal touch.

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

LOL NO WAY! Amazing what you don't know about people. That is too neat!!!

-kjpugs

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

My post tomorrow is about our ceremony and some of the 'unexpected' or 'non-traditional' things we have planned :) I think it's great you were ordained. A friend of ours got ordained to marry his friends a few months ago and he offered to officiate our wedding as well. We love him so much and would have loved to have him do this for us, but like you, we have a pastor we are close with whom we wanted to marry us. But it is such a great option for some!