Friday, January 8, 2010

Shake Your Pom-Pom!

As many brides, I love me some tissue poms. And I wrote a post a couple of months ago mentioning my dilemma if I wanted to take it on or not. I wanted to make the full ones with the Styrofoam ball. But heard horrible stories on how much time that was and I knew I was going to need twelve at least. So I decided to go with the Martha poms which let me tell you, a LOT less work. She has her directions but those were for ones that were pretty huge, the directions I'm going to give you are probably a little smaller then a Volleyball and I will have them hung every other row going down the aisle during the ceremony.

Here are the supplies you will need for ONE tissue pom:

  • 8 sheets of tissue paper cut down to 10x15
  • 12 inches of floral wire
  • Scissors
  • Wire Cutters
  • Ruler
First you will stack eight sheets of tissue paper and measure it to 10x15 and cut. After you have that you are going to fold the tissue paper like an accordion with about 1 inch folds.


Once you have the accordian tissue paper you will get your 12 inch piece of floral wire, fold it in half, and then put it in the middle of your tissue paper and twist it closed.


You then will want to either round the edges, you can also do pointy edges for a look like a Dahlia.


Then you will start fluffing out one sheet at a time pulling apart from the middle. Be careful! This is when I started getting cocky thinking this was such an easy project and I ripped a couple of the pieces of tissue paper.


Then voila, you have a nice tissue pom. I did this quickly just to see if I understood the directions and I was pretty happy with it. I didn't add any ribbon (which I will feed through the wire before poofing) but for doing this one in about 15 minutes I think if I take the time with the others they should be perfect and not take more then about 25 minutes each. I also will plan on not poofing them so that they can be freshly poofed the day of the wedding.


Has their been a DIY project you weren't really looking forward to and then once you actually decided to try it, it wasn't as hard you thought?

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Wow! Those look easier to make than I thought. I might have to make some.

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

Gahhh they still scare me....

-kjpugs