Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Sand Ceremony Dilemma

I always wanted to do a sand ceremony. The Unity candles were always nice, and I've really fallen in love with the new wine ceremony even. But the sand ceremony seemed like something that went well with our theme of our wedding and it would be something that we could place in our home for years to come as a rememberence of uniting as one.

As time went on I slowly started getting over the idea -- mainly because I already felt that our ceremony could get lengthy and I want to keep it at around 20-25 minutes. Although I'm sure it would only take a minute or two, I just felt we were adding in so many other things already with the readings, communion, etc. That was until this morning when I saw this picture on a friends Facebook page:


Perfect. We are doing two readings at our wedding (which I'm writing a seperate post about), one is just a verse while the other is a short story/poem. I figure that would be perfect for us to do the ceremony possibly during the longer reading.

I still have the thought in my mind that it could be "too much" and I'm adding too many "events" into our ceremony because I definately don't want to overdue it. What do you think? Should I just kick this idea or should I try and roll with it possibly closer to the wedding when our ceremony is more laid out?

8 comments:

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

I think that is the perfect idea! Definitely do the sand pouring while a reading is going on. I am all about being a multi-tasker - even during ceremonies :) We will be having a soloist (friend) sing a song during our wedding. Rather than us standing there while he sings, we will be taking communion and saying a silent prayer with our pastor while the song is being sung. That way our guests don't have to sit in silence watching us while we take communion...they have some entertainment at the same time :)

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget said...

I'm still debating on whether I want to do a sand ceremony or not. I think it's a really nice idea.

Jenn said...

Do it!! If you've always wanted to do it...

20-25 mins is not that long and like you said it will only take a minute...

Bicoastal Bride said...

I think it sounds great! It’s your wedding, and I think you might regret it if you skip it. So, I think you should go for it!

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

I say roll with it. Unless your ceremony ends up being 2 hours long, I don't think it's possible to add too many events. If it's special/meaningful to the two of you that's all that really matters!

PMerr said...

I think you should do it! 20-25 isn't that long. We'll be having 3 readings (one of which will include the cord of 3 strands), and then the unity flowers (like the candle & sand, but with flowers)

LauraLou said...

Definitely do it! We're doing our unity candle during the song that our 2 friends are singing ('The Luckiest' by Ben Folds), but I think doing the sand ceremony during the reading would be perfect!

Ashley @ Ramirez Family said...

We did the sand at my wedding and I loved it because we got married overlooking the ocean. We actually used the sand from the beach we were on, so now we will always have sand from the beach we were married at. I just think it is a great way for a keepsake too ;)