Monday, March 8, 2010

Ceremony Extras: Readings [Part 1 of 3]

There were a lot of things I wanted in my ceremony. I also tried to not pick too much based on time limiations on the yacht and I want to make sure I have plenty of time to shake my groove thang. Isn't it sad that I want to make sure the most IMPORTANT part is short and sweet? Honestly, I know it's going to be amazing so 20-25 minutes is what I wanted!

There are a few things we are going to be adding into all the traditional stuff like the vows, ring exchange, etc. First one I'm going to talk about is the Readings.

We are going to be having two of them, the first one is going to be by Mr. Mojito's BM-Zach. We looked and we looked for a good scripture. We knew we wanted one of our readings to be a scripture, and the other would be a poem or story. We wanted to try to stray away from the EXTREMELY common 1 Corinthians...

You know the scene in Wedding Crashers when they make a bet on what the verse will be...

Father: And now for our next reading, I'd like to ask the bride's sister Gloria up to the lectern.
John: 20 bucks, 1st Corinthians.
Jeremy: Double or nothing, Colossians 3:12.
Gloria: And now a reading from Paul's first letter to the Corinthians.


Gosh I love that movie, LOL. So here we are, with our 1st Corinthians reading, we will be doing these parts of 1 Corinthians, Chapter 13:

1 Corinthians 13:1-8a and 13 - If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

For our second reading it will be done by my old roommate and friend, Ashley. She was going to be one of my bridesmaids but her and Mr. Mojito had a, uhm, "tiff" the same time Mr. Mojito and I got engaged so out of respect to him I chose not to ask her. Since then things have been mended and we are all friends again... I then found this a perfect opportunity to still have her be a part of my wedding and asked if she would do a reading at the wedding.

For this reading we are going with the newly popular, "I Like You" by Sandol Stoddard Warburg. I think the first person I saw using this may have been Ms. Candy Corn and put that into my inspiration folder instantly. It was so Mr. Mojito and I. So I got ahold of the entire poem and read through it, I then took out some parts just to shorten it up a bit... here is the version we will be reading...

I like you because you are a good person to like.
When I say something funny, you laugh.
I think I’m funny and you think I’m funny too.

I like you because you know where I’m ticklish.
And you don’t tickle me there,
except just a little tiny bit sometimes.
But if you do, then I know where to tickle you too.

You know how to be silly, That’s why I like you.
Boy are you ever silly.
I never met anybody sillier than me till I met you.
I like you because you know when it’s time to stop being silly.
Maybe day after tomorrow.
Maybe never.
Too late, it’s a quarter past silly.

If I am a goofus on the roofus hollering my head off, You are one too.
If I pretend I am drowning, you pretend you are saving me.
If I am getting ready to pop a paper bag, then you are getting ready to jump.
That’s because you really like me.
You really like me, don’t you?
And I really like you back.
And you like me back and I like you back.
And that’s the way we keep on going every day.

And I like you because when I am feeling sad
You don’t always cheer me up right away.
Sometimes it is better to be sad.
You can’t stand others being so googly and gaggly every single minute.
You want to think about things.
It takes time.

I like you because if I am mad at you, Then you are mad at me too.
It’s awful when the other person isn’t.
They are so nice and hoo-hoo, you could just about punch them in the nose.

If you find two four-leaf clovers,you give me one.
If I find four, I give you two.
If we only find three, we keep on looking.
Sometimes we have good luck, and sometimes we don’t.

I like you because I don’t know why
but Everything that happens is nicer with you.
I can’t remember when I didn’t like you.
It must have been lonesome then.
I like you because because because
I forget why I like you, but I do.
So many reasons.

On the 4th of July I like you because it’s the 4th of July.
On the fifth of July, I like you too.
If you and I had some drums and some horns and some horses,
If we had some hats and some flags and some fire engines,
We could be a HOLIDAY.
We could be a CELEBRATION.
We could be a WHOLE PARADE.
See what I mean?
Even if it was the 999th of July,
Even if it was August,
Even if it was way down at the bottom of November,
Even if it was no place particular in January,
I would go on choosing you.
And you would go on choosing me.
Over and over again.
That’s how it would happen every time.

I don’t know why.
I guess I don’t know why I really like you.
Why do I like you.
I guess I just like you.
I guess I just like you because I like you.
I like you and I know why.


My pastor will be dividing up the two readings during the ceremony rather then having them both together.

Are you having any special readings in your wedding? Share!

4 comments:

Em said...

Mmmkay, could we be any more similar in our posting?? I was just thinking today about how my next few posts will be ceremony-related. I'll hold off on that for now :) Love your readings!

Stephanie said...

I love that second reading! I hadn't heard/seen it before. Can I have a do over for my wedding now?! ;)

thehickbride said...

Awee I really like both of your readings, they're special and not so run-of-the-mill. I've never heard the "I Like You" before and I love it! =)

Aubrey said...

LOL....we're using 1 Corinthians as well.