Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wedding Bands: Does it Matter?

I have some problems, okay it's not really a problem at all. It's me over thinking something because it's just something I've never heard of before. So I decide to come to you ladies for the best advice... because you always convince me I'm either (a) crazy and need to get over it or (b) have a reason to fret and throw me some good alternate solutions.

I'm not getting a wedding band. Refresher, here is my ring:


When I first did a google search I actually found girls in "Yahoo Answers" asking the same thing, but I feel like people will just think I'm only engaged, and not actually married yet. Does that even matter? Probably not.

My ring is very unique and flesh to my finger, so I see no way of having a wedding band without getting something custom which custom means $$$ and my ring is already pretty thick. I couldn't imagine adding more thickness to it.

So here is the option we are looking at, at the moment. Almost two years before we got engaged, Mr. Mojito bought me this as a promise ring, it's actually a wedding band:

It is a nice white gold band with seven princess cut stones. I loved this ring and never took it off my left hand for all that time. So it meant a lot to me and was the first amazing big step I ever took romantically (except that one time in Cancun... another blog for another day, okay j/k). So since I got engaged that ring got put in the ring box that my engagement ring was in with the intensions of possibly using it for a wedding band. Okay, it doesn't sit up against my engagement ring at all, but it honestly didn't look that bad. But what I was really thinking was wearing the promise ring / wedding band on my right hand and continue wearing my engagement ring on my left hand. I know it's not the traditional way to go but I think it works for me, for us.

Thoughts? Is it weird that I'm going different from the norm?

12 comments:

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

I have a promise ring too! I wear it on my right hand. I think that that would be a good idea (PR right hand, just ER on left) and maybe in a few years you can save up for a custom band if it's still important to you! I think with a ring like yours, no one would think it was weird not to have one.
-KJ PUGS

Ashley @ KiwisandCocktails said...

I was going to write "Who cares what people think. Do you what you want"
But, it is hard to not care what people think. I always look at peoples hands, but A lot of people thought my engagement ring Meant I was married before I even put the band on (after I got married) My mom does not wear her wedding band with her ring anymore because her band was so old and it does not match her upgrade ring she got on their 25th anniversary.
Conclusion. I LOVE YOUR RING. So pretty. Do what you want!! IT is YOUR hand and your choice! :))

Christine said...

I don't think it's weird I mean your engagement ring is gorgeous on it's own. I think your promise ring is pretty and too special just to sit in a box. :)

Chocolate Lover said...

One of my closest friends did the same thing. They spent their money getting a ring she wanted designed cause she knew she didn't want a wedding band. People do sometimes call her Miss or Ms but she doesn't care. It doesn't really matter what others think anyway. And your engagement ring is so beautiful on its own!

Leanne said...

Hey!

I'm a new follower. Just wanted to say that I love your blog.

I used to wear my promise ring on my left hand as well, and got a lot of grief from this who viewed it a "bad luck."

Now that we are engaged I wear it on my right hand.

I think if your not getting a wedding band, and you love you promise ring that much then it's a good idea to wear it as a kind of wedding band.

Being different isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What are you using when you exchange rings during the ceremony?

Stacy Marie said...

I love the idea of wearing the promise ring on your right hand!

Genevieve said...

I LOVE your ring! I have a similar but smaller ring. I was planning on not getting a wedding band to save money and not alter the look of my ring, but now I want one. I think you should definitely wear the promise ring! Maybe you can get a wedding band to wear with the promise ring?

Rick said...

Since it looks like your promise ring is actually a wedding band, I don’t think another ring is necessary. Unless you want a plain band for when you are active or working with your hands. Palladium is very affordable right now, and has been for years. That might be an option so you don’t lose a diamond while raking leaves, working in the yard, fixing a toilet, etc.

Laura K [AKA Miss Mojito] said...

I am going to use the promise ring for the wedding ceremony.

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone!

Couture Bowl said...

I'm in the same position as you - I was thinking of going for something really skinny for my band even though it wouldn't match it would be delicate enough to offset my thicker ring. But who knows? Maybe the right hand ring is the fix!

New Mexican Bride said...

I love your idea of wearing one on each hand. I think you should do what makes you happy and I actually wanted only one ring. But ended up finding a set I really liked. I think having one ring is perfectly fine, I don't think people will think you are only engaged. Do you look at people's hands to see if they are engaged or married??? I don't! I admire the ring of course but never thought that deep into it.

Llama said...

I think that the promise ring would be perfect to use for the wedding ceremony...it could be your something old...turned into your something new! love it!