Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Shake Your Pom-Pom

Okay, I loved these things over and over again. Told myself I didn't need them over and over again, but after seeing this special touch in soo many ceremonys I think this is a VERY inexpensive DIY project that will add a burst of color (as if I NEED more color) in the ceremony.

I'm making the tissue poms.

I'm using the short and sweet directions of the fabulous Martha Stewart for this one, but we all know we can't live up to Martha's standards so I will be sure to share my version of the DIY process.

I wanted to do the poms for every other aisle on the ceremony. We are using chairs like the ones above in the ceremony so it will be easy for them to just hang off the end of the aisle. I called my wedding lady at my venue today to ask how many people are to a row so that I could do the math to see how many I would need. She said there is seven on the left and eight on the right (because of a side set of stairs that cuts off one side short) making it 17 per row. I did a little math and I figured if I do one on each side every other row then I would need 10 or 12 poms based on if I had 170-200 people... gosh I hope I did that math right! Haha.

I'm making the poms like the picture ABOVE not like the ones BELOW. Although I lovvvve the ones below I think a little bit more that I hear takes a LOT more tissue paper and time so I am going for the Martha ones. What's your opinion? Do you think I'll be okay with my cop-out decision?

I will leave you with a few of the pictures that inspired me to want to have this in my ceremony:

I also found this seller on Etsy, Prost to the Host, and I could get all of the Poms needed in the colors I want for about $35. Am I a total DIY failure if I even contract out this simple project? I feel like I must try to impress my readers haha... definately a back-up! She has the perfect tissue colors I would want too!

I will be dragging Mr. Mojito with me tonight to hunt down the perfect tissue paper, not sure where to go yet for that. And I will begin to work on this project and get back to you as I begin to finish... or quit. We all know I'm not that great at the DIY projects!

10 comments:

Christine said...

I love those big tissue paper poms!

Jen said...

I love these! They'll be a great addition of color!

Kristy said...

ive totally been stalking this idea too but have been afraid to go for it! please share your DIY experience, perhaps I can feed off of your success! looking forward to it!

Miss Kriss said...

Cute cute! I love these too! Let me know how it goes...I may have to try to make some of those for my own wedding! ;)

Gonna Be His Mrs. said...

I've fallen in LOVE with pom poms! I've already made 12 small ones to fit into these sort of metal ornaments I bought, and it seemed like it took me an eternity to make these!
http://pandbwedding.blogspot.com/2009/09/another-fab-find-at-thrift-store.html
But I still ended up buying more tissue in different colors because I WANT MORE! lol
Great project to do whilst sitting in front of the tv.

Stephanie said...

I loved poms, but I couldn't get Rick to fall in love with them. He had an issue about it just being 'paper'. They looked fabulous everywhere I see them though :)

I will say, I made one to show Rick, hoping it would sell the idea and well it was not a fave DIY project of mine. I love that you're going to try it, but if you outsource to a pro its all good too! :-D

Sara said...

Love the poms!! We made daisy pomanders for our wedding and they looked fabulous. You'll love the way the brighten things up!

Llama said...

WOW! WHAT and awesome idea! If you end up doing them yourself you have to show us all how you did it! They are beautiful (both designs) I can't wait to see the final project!:)

A Fortunate Bride said...

I have to admit I think you just convinced me to buy some on etsy! I love them but can't wrap my mind around the thought of making a bunch!

Katie said...

I love poms too!!! I have about 10 packages of the white Martha Stewart kits on hand at the moment...I'm trying to figure out if I have a place to put them...I'm so in love...