Sunday, September 13, 2009

Docs, Forms, and Spreadsheets - OH MY!

Google is my hero. Seriously. I do all of my wedding stuff in two places: home & work. At one time in the wedding planning process I was emailing myself all of my documents everyday after work so I continue anything that night at home -- let's just say that got old and I would forget to save the latest versions.

Enter...

::Hallelujah chorus::

How did I not know about this place sooner? It's been the best six months of my life. I heard about it from a Bee but of course I can't remember who. But she posted about Google Forms and how that was what she did to collect her information from her guests. That was the greatest thing ever. At that time I only had probably 50% of my guests addresses and other information.

Google Forms lets you develop a form that is just like a quick entry form that you email the link to anyone and once they fill it out and save it, it will put all of the responses in a fabulous organized spreadsheet.

Here are the things I included for the form:

  • Name
  • Significant Others Name
  • Address
  • City
  • State
  • Zip
  • Phone Number
  • Email Address
  • Planning to Move?
  • Comments / Questions
The reason I asked for phone number and email address is for the people I don't talk to all the time it will be an easy way for me to put the people on the spot who haven't sent in that great RSVP I worked on!

The planning to move part was really helpful because it gave us the opportunity to know who we should double check with every time we get ready to mail something out so we can update it when appropriate.

Comments and Questions was just for a little fun... we got lots of fun messages from our friends and family with that one!

The other great thing with google docs was I saved the FINAL guest list in there and Mama Mojito and FMIL Mojito had access to this guest list (you can say who can see and edit your documents) so when they got some information they were able to add it and save it without us always emailing the LATEST version around.

The other document I have in there is our music lists under different categories. The perfect part is when I think of a song I will add it or Mr Mojito will do the same. He also will put an X next to the songs he definately wants to veto. If I have a good enough reason I want the song I will explain my argument. It's just another great way for us to check out the document.

I also keep all of my inspiration items in different categories. So if I'm ever in contact with a certain vendor I can just give them the link to my docs rather then sending them tons of attachments.

I could go on and on with my love for Google Docs, but I will let you check it out for yourself!

Do you use Google Docs? What are some of the things you use it for? Any other good resources you would like to share?

2 comments:

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget said...

I love Google Docs. I do so much stuff in there. It's great because I can access it on any computer.

Miss Pug said...

Miss Mojito!!! I did a post on this too... I can't believe we didn't talk about this. I also utilize docs to share info with Mr Pug (you can share your docs with other gmail users) and also to store docs (our invite list, our church list, our to-do list and budget) that you want accessible from anywhere.